Java is available for installation from a number of sources. Below are a
few of the sources:
- Your choice of where to get Java is generally based upon the license,
features, and ease of installation. A more complete list is sources
along with license information is available at
Wikipedia. Linux users should generally install Java from their
distribution's standard package repository.
- If you already have Java without IcedTea, then all you need to install
is AdoptOpenJDK's stand-alone
- NASA-managed computers: The Java installed on NASA-managed computers
does not include WebStart/IcedTea. You can do one of the following:
instead of or in addition to the "NASA" Java. Note that
OpenWebStart has an option to install a "personal" copy of Java that
will not overwrite a "system" copy of Java such as the Java
installed from the "Software Center" or "Self-Service Portal".
- Install Java from the "Software Center" (Windows 10 computers) or
the "Self-Service Portal" (macOS computers) and install a
stand-alone IcedTea package (such as AdoptOpenJDK's
IcedTea builds) and configure it to use the previously installed
Java versions after 8 have significant functional and licensing
incompatibilities with version 8. SKTEditor runs on 8 and later
versions. The following provides some guidance when choosing a version:
- Java 8:
- Users of Oracle's traditional Java (available from www.java.com
and www.oracle.com/java) should choose version 8 because it
includes the WebStart component. Newer versions do not include
- Users of AdoptOpenJDK's Java should choose version 8 because the
msi installer includes an option to install the IcedTea
- Java 11 or higher:
- If you choose to use Java 11, you must install the IcedTea
component. Installing IcedTea on Linux is no more difficult
than installing Java. At this time, only
OpenWebStart includes IcedTea so it is recommended for
Windows and macOS users.
Java Installation Instructions
Instructions for installing Java on the following platforms
are provide below.
Microsoft Windows Java Installation Procedures
Choose from one of the following Java distributions and follow the
corresponding procedures to install it.
- Download and install
- Download and run the Java 8 Windows installer file (msi). When
choosing the installation options, select the option to
have the JAVA_HOME environment variable set and to have
Apple macOS Java Installation Procedures
- Download and install
- Note: To launch a JNLP application, locate the .jnlp file in
control-click/Open With/OpenWebStart javaws.app.
OpenWebStart javaws.app may not be the default
application for JNLP files.
Linux Java Installation Procedures
Choose from one of the following Java installation procedures based upon
the Linux distribution you are using.
- Debian/Ubunta based distributions
$ sudo apt install openjdk-11-jdk
$ sudo apt install icedtea-netx
- RPM based distributions
$ sudo dnf install java-11-openjdk-devel
$ sudo dnf install icedtea-web